Friday, November 9, 2007

Miami, FL and being out of your league


Headed to Miami for a couple days this week for work. This was not the ordinary work trip though...I traveled with the President of my company and our President of Sales to meet my client's CEO. These people are on a slightly different plane than me. First off, our meetings were at the Loews hotel on South Beach (http://www.loewshotels.com/en/default.aspx), an art deco hotel right on the beach and the "strip" of South Beach. When we rolled up, there was a Bentley and an Aston parked right out front with enough eurotrash hanging around to fill up the Enumclaw Transfer station.

But this wasn't 'good' enough for us to stay in...oh no. We had reservations at the Four Seasons downtown(www.fourseasons.com). OMG...it was nice. All marble bathroom with separate tiled shower, large window with a fantastic view of the city, and a super comfy bed with great linens. I also remember these large sculptures in the lobby being rather unique...they just kinda stuck in my mind. Oh yeah...there's an article about the artist in the latest issue of GQ (not that I read it regularly, but it makes good airport fodder). I also had the best room service delivery guy EVAR!!!

Now when it came to the actual meetings- I blew it. I mean, I didn't puke on the guy's shoes or anything...but I was in unfamiliar territory for me. I was truly overwhelmed and felt completely out of my league. I am used to being a big fish in a small pond- but I wasn't even a sardine in the Pacific here. It was humbling for sure.

But also enlightening. These guys were assholes. They knew they had money, and felt they were better than everyone else. You know...having money is nice, but it's not everything. Yeah...I wouldn't mind driving an Aston or a GT3 like my client's CEO, but if it requires me turning into an ass I'd rather keep the GTI and be happy with who I am.

No comments: