Saturday, August 11, 2007

Salt Lake City and the Pontiac Grand Prix


It seems like every time I'm in Salt Lake, I get a Grand Prix as my rental. Seriously, like the last 3 times it's been that way- maybe even the same one! Not that I'm complaining- it's actually one of my favorite rentals to get. Not too big, not too small. It's sporty enough to somewhat satisfy my itch too. Decent styling on the outside, and the interior is definitely one of those "cockpit inspired" interiors too. The dark gray on black color scheme really fit the car as well. There are a couple things, I mean, it wouldn't be a true post if I didn't bitch about something. First off...the seats are covered in some nasty, loose weave fabric that would be a total bitch to clean and would probably work better than a loofah if you drove naked. Second- whoever designed the ventilation system wanted to make sure you were covered. There were 11 (I think) vents in the dashboard...making it look kinda like swiss cheese. But overall, not a bad ride at all.

I like Salt Lake City, especially when I get to go to one of my favorite sushi joints Ichiban. Now I know what you are thinking- Sushi in SLC? Yeah...it goes against my "never eat seafood in a landlocked state" rule, but this place is freakin amazing! Every time I'm in SLC I try to make a point to stop by. On previous trips, I've spoken with the owner and the head sushi chef...and they don't mess around. They fly fish in from Japan 3 times a week, and are VERY picky about what they buy. I took a guy I kinda work with there this time....and he doesn't eat sushi. He was a little apprehensive about things when we first got there, but he said he'd try and keep an open mind. We got a couple appetizers first...one of which is Tosh's Shrimp. He took one bite and looked at me and said "This is the best shrimp I have ever had...EVER! I would totally come back here and just get like 5 orders of this!!!" Yeah...Scott was hooked at that point;) If you are ever in SLC, I highly recommend it.

It's also the little things that you pick up on when you travel. Right before I headed to the airport to come home I stopped at this little island cafe for lunch. SLC is the only place that I have been where when you order something in a fast food type restaurant, instead of asking "For here or to go?" they say "To stay or take with". It's odd...and throws me every time I hear it. I guess it's like getting a "Royal with Cheese" in Amsterdam ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't stand GM interiors. The Grand Prix is probably better than most, and certainly better than their SUV's, but I really hate their interiors over all. Ugh..

Dan said...

I'm going to be in SLC in November, I'll definitely check out the sushi place!

dc