Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Bozeman, MT and the Mustang Convertible


Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?


So we get back to the house from our Austin trip at midnight, and I'm up again at 0330 to hop my plane out to Bozeman, MT for work. As you can imagine...both Gayle and I are dragging. She at least got to go back to bed- I had to work. Gayle texts me after dropping me off and lets me know that I left my sunglasses in the car. D'oh! Oh well, it's only for a couple days- I can manage. So I get to the gate and oddly enough, get back on the plane we had just come in on. This time I sat in 19C instead of 18E...weird huh?


I arrive in Bozeman, and even though it's in the 90s it feels like nothing compared to Austin. It's smokey because of the forest fires (pretty much half the state is burning), but still fairly sunny. I head out from the rental car counter and find I've got a Mustang....convertible.


And my sunglasses are in Portland.


No worries, it's a convertible and I'm sure as hell dropping the top any chance I get. I actually like the newer Ford Mustangs...they are a great car honestly. I've always had a thing for the classic, first gen Mustangs...and what guy hasn't enjoyed the chase scene in Bullit multiple times? There is plenty of "throwback" styling on the car to let you know its a 'Stang, the interior is basic, but again, takes some cues from the original generation. The body panels come up fairly high, giving you the feel that you are hunkered down low in the car. And even the crappy rental car engine provides an exhaust note that makes you feel like you are in a muscle car. It's even better when it's a convertible...I'm a big fan of any car with no top. The only real complaint I have with the car may surprise you. Most people complain about the lack of a trunk in a 'vert- not me. I usually travel alone, so what do I care if I can't fit 8 suitcases in the back? My complaint is the fuel gauge. I turn the car on and it comes up to the 3/4 mark, even though the tank is full. I pull out and drive the 8 miles into town, and only then does it read full. Not that I really care, I mean work covers the fuel...but I could just see someone pulling in to return the car somewhere and the check in person only sees 3/4s of a tank and charges a couple gallons at over $6 a pop to some tourist. That's Lame.

No comments: