Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The United Kingdom and the Mercedes E220


I mentioned earlier that I was taking a trip to Great Britain for work, as my new client’s UK division is launching a new program. Now this is a big deal- our first European program and I got to be one of three people to head over the pond to kick it off. Needless to say, it was an absolute ton of work and everyone else at work hates me now. It’s good to be hated sometimes :)

Getting around in the UK can be difficult- they drive on the left side of the road, none of the roads are marked, and none of us that were going knew anything about the layout. Coupled with the fact that we had been traveling for around 14 hours straight when we got there, no one was up for the task of driving.

Fortunately we had thought ahead and hired a car service. Robert and his Mercedes was there to meet us at Gatwick and drive us up to North Hampton, which was around 3 hours away. My first impression of this car was that it seemed very small. Usually the E class seem like a bit of a boat, but with 4 good sized guys and enough luggage for a week the space fills up fairly fast. I however was extremely impressed with the car’s performance though- considering it was a diesel. Average speed varied quite a bit as we went from the city to the country, but our mileage was always on the north side of 40mpg. And went Robert finally “put his toe down” (not that often), the car responded magnificently. It was a very grueling 3 hour drive though. His driving was so cautious it made my eye twitch. In fact, he left the directional on for so long once I reached over and turned it off myself. He gave me the look of death…which was warranted because it was a dick move. But I don’t think he realized just how close he was to getting carjacked by his own passengers so they could drive the car the way it was meant to be.

The Europeans have got it right. You can take a luxury car and add a diesel engine and keep it luxury. The engine was near silent, had plenty of pep, didn’t have that “smell”(which may be a shame to some), and STILL get the efficiency. North America seriously needs to pull their heads out and take a look around. Talk about hybrids all you want…give me a diesel any day.

As long as whoever drives “puts their toe down” :)

No comments: