Sunday, December 23, 2007

Strange things afoot in PDX

We had to make a short notice trip back to Portland for a funeral last week, and had an experience that I just have to share.

The church service was attended by a number of folks that I didn't know, as the deceased was very active in the church community and had volunteered for many years. After some very nice words from the pastor and the family, the floor was opened up for the audience to make comments and pay their respects.

Most of the folks talked about memories from church or from volunteering...the usual fare. But one speaker stood out from all the rest. Let me do my best to recount his little talk:

"Hi...uh...I didn't know Wes (the deceased). In fact this is my first time visiting this church. I was just looking for a Tai Chi class and got a little tired and decided to make a pit stop. It sounds like he was a great guy, and who knows, maybe his spirit brought me here for a reason!?"

Now...I really didn't know Wes all that well, but I from what I gathered from him his spirit probably wouldn't be hanging out with a 20-something looking for a martial arts class.

But hey...you never know, right?

No comments: