Friday, October 12, 2007

Miami, FL and the Chevy Impala


Oh look! The Chevy version of the Ford Taurus! And I hate the Taurus. Good thing I only had to drive less than 20 miles the whole day.


The real story is the trip to Miami. I have just taken over a new account that has frankly been neglected for almost a year. The relationship is strained to say the least, and it's now my job to make it right. They have no idea who I am, and my higher ups have talked me up quite a bit. They basically have heard this song and dance before, and are taking the stance of "I'll believe it when I see it".


So I headed to Miami to show them :)


On the final decent into Miami, the gentleman across the aisle from me took a full can of Sprite out of the seat back pocket. He accidently dropped the can, and when it hit the floor it somehow sprung a leak and proceeded to spray me head to toe. I was literally dripping with sticky, sweet, limony goodness.


And I had my first face to face meeting with a new client in under an hour.


So what do you do? First thing, I had the flight attendants grab me every paper towel I could find and began toweling off as best I could. When we landed I headed to the lav and discovered my shoes were sticking to everything. I took them off, poured out the soda that was in them, and then washed them in the little sink. I got myself as good as I could on the plane and headed off. I called my boss Mo and did some major venting, mostly just to get it out of my system. Then we started brainstorming. Two roadwarriors collaborating is a spooky thing. The conversation whizzed around going shopping, finding an athletic club, and then it hit Mo! American Airlines (which I was flying) operates out of the international terminal in Miami. Sometimes the executive clubs have showers in international terminals! It was worth a shot.


Sure enough, they did. So I paid my $50 for a day pass (ripoff) and signed up for a shower. I scrubbed myself clean, and did my best to handwash my clothes, drying them with the little wall mounted hairdryer. I put myself back together as best I could, and headed out only slightly damp and a little fruity smelling. What the hairdryer couldn't do...the Miami heat took care of. I was dry within 5 minutes of stepping outside!


I hopped in the rental car, drove to the client....and the rest is history :) Did they notice? No. Did I tell them? Yes! Did they love it? Absolutely! Will they remember me? How could they forget!?


Never underestimate a Roadwarrior...NEVER!!!

No comments: