Friday, April 18, 2008

UK Invasion #2

My return trip to the UK was something that I don’t think I can forget anytime soon. I would be gone for a full week this time, and again traveling all over England and Scotland. The exciting part of this trip was the fact that I actually had built in some free time this time…learning from my last trip that there is so much to see and London can be a fantastic place.

However, this trip did have it’s ups and downs. The first down began before we even left Atlanta- a fuel problem with the airplane caused a 4.5 hour delay before we even left. So a long flight became even that much longer. However, it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. Because of the delay they served dinner while we were on the ground, so once we were in the air I could just sack out and sleep the whole way. We ate like Vikings, and as soon as the plane was off I was curling up and heading to dreamland. Oh how nice it was- I completely zonked out only to wake up when the pilot announced we were on our decent into Manchester.

Or so I thought.

Evidently my dreamland is more like a vindictive spite-filled hellhole rather than a happy place. I had zonked out…that much was true. But I actually dreamed that I had slept the whole way. After feeling so happy and relived that the ride felt so short, I woke up for real and discovered I still had over 8 hours left.

If I could, I would kick my mind’s ass.

PS- Interesting travel tip. If you ever find yourself flying into Manchester Airport with a connecting flight, make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes. It literally took 45 minutes to walk from our arrival gate to our departure gate. I seriously thought I was going to have to carry my boss at one point, as such a hike after a long ass flight will wear you out very quickly.

No comments: